Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
Learning to dance is an investment that keeps on paying back. Of all the hobbies you may have, dancing is one which goes with you wherever you go in years to come.
- The Arthur Murray Winter Park studio has been a part of my routine for 10 years now. What kept me there? It's not just the dancing, which I love and had been doing on and off during my life, but the social life it has afforded me with gentle refined people who (for individualized reasons) share the same love of dance. I not only regained self-respect that had been lost due to life's hardships, but gained a confidence on and off the dance floor. This would not have been possible in a different scenario than what this studio offers. From the opportunities to fulfill various dance goals to the offering of all levels of dance expertise and dance commitment. From the most ardent of student competitors to the most sincere of wedding couples; each goal and commitment is honored and thoughtfully planned. We are all given thought to a schedule of plans and then skillfully taught. Ten years with the same studio, and I am not the only "long-timer"--there are several of us. They definitely are doing several things right. I am proud to be one of them!!!Karen Dee
- I absolutely love this studio!! The atmosphere is relaxed and open, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and I know I will have a good time when I walk through the door. I can't think of a better place to dance!Ashley Elizabeth
- Fantastic studio with top instructors. Great and personal service from day one on. Each instructor will make a personalized plan after your first visit and work with you for whatever goal you are working towards. Studio has a packed monthly schedule with group lessons and parties from r all levels that help you to practice without intimidation. Highly recommended!!Andrea Luethi
- LOVE THIS STUDIO! The instructors are always helpful, kind, encouraging, knowledgeable and most importantly extremely patient. This studio offers classes for dancers of all levels. I really appreciate that studio is clean, bright and open with plenty of space to dance.Mary Roering
- What can I say? I should have started as a true dancer. ... with very friendly people and lots going on at one time. Private lessons, group lessons, party/mixers and EVERY kind of dance you can imagine. I truly recommend everyone to try it out. Find the dancer in you.Victor L.Orlando, FL